It was a posting house for coaches from Chertsey to London, and a large room upstairs was used in the 19th century for auctions and other meetings. A two storey extension to the west was demolished around 1983 when it became unsafe.
The appearance of the pub was improved during 2004, with a new sign that actually depicts a flowerpot! These photographs were taken in July 2008.
The first recorded mention of this pub was as long ago as 1714 when it may have been on the other side of the road, backing on to the river. Location aside, it's probably changed a lot since then, although the current main building still dates from the late 18th century.