"As they passed Sunbury Church, the clock struck seven. There was a light in the ferry-house window opposite: which streamed across the road, and threw into more sombre shadow a dark yew-tree with graves beneath it. There was a dull sound of falling water not far off; and the leaves of the old tree stirred gently in the night wind. It seemed like quiet music for the repose of the dead."
St Mary's Church was rebuilt in 1752, 86 years before Charles Dickens wrote these words in "Oliver Twist". It replaced an earlier structure that may have dated back to Saxon times. In much of 2004 it looked as though it was being rebuit again!
Click here to see the tower refurbishment in progress.